Assignment 3: Healthcare Quality
Due Week 6 and worth 200 points
Assume that you are a Quality Officer who is responsible for one of the state’s largest healthcare organizations. You have been told that the quality of patient care has decreased, and you have been assigned a project that is geared toward increasing quality of care for the patients. Your Chief Executive Officer has requested a six to eight-page summary of your recommended initiatives.
Note: You may create and /or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a 6-8 page paper in which you:
Analyze three (3) quality initiatives for your organization.
Determine the supporting factors that would aid in the reduction of healthcare cost in your organization without reducing quality of care for the patients.
Differentiate between quality in a free market healthcare system and in single payer government system with three (3) examples for each.
Specify three (3) common law quality initiatives that are still found in 21st century healthcare organizations.
Defend your position on the importance of healthcare quality for your organization. Provide support with at least three (3) examples that illustrate your position.
- Assemble a plan to protect patient information that complies with all legal requirements.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Describe the evolution of hospitals and sources of law.
Examine tort law and the criminal aspects of health care.
Analyze the impact of healthcare financing and health insurance on healthcare access, quality, and cost.
- Determine the factors that affect healthcare quality in healthcare organizations.
Examine information management and health care records and how the legal reporting requirements impact health care.
- Assess the legal implications of ethical decisions that impact consent for treatment, right-to-die, and patient rights and responsibilities.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in healthcare policy, law, and ethics.
Expert Solution Preview
As a Quality Officer responsible for a large healthcare organization, my role is to improve the quality of patient care. This assignment requires analyzing quality initiatives, identifying factors that reduce healthcare costs without compromising care, comparing quality in different healthcare systems, discussing common law quality initiatives, and defending the importance of healthcare quality.
Answer to Content:
1. Analyze three (3) quality initiatives for your organization:
In order to improve quality of care in the healthcare organization, three initiatives can be implemented:
a) Implementation of electronic health records (EHR): This enables healthcare professionals to access and share patient information easily, leading to better coordination and continuity of care.
b) Continuous quality improvement (CQI) programs: By implementing CQI programs, healthcare organizations can regularly assess and improve their processes, identify areas for improvement, and ensure a standardized and consistent level of care is provided to patients.
c) Patient and family engagement: Encouraging active engagement and involvement of patients and their families in the healthcare decision-making process can lead to improved patient satisfaction, adherence to treatment plans, and better health outcomes.
2. Determine the supporting factors that would aid in the reduction of healthcare cost in your organization without reducing quality of care for the patients:
There are several supporting factors that can aid in reducing healthcare costs without compromising quality of care:
a) Efficient utilization of resources: By optimizing resource allocation, minimizing waste, and enhancing productivity, healthcare organizations can ensure cost-effective delivery of care.
b) Prevention and early intervention: Prioritizing preventive measures and early intervention can help in reducing the need for expensive interventions and hospitalizations.
c) Community-based care: Shifting the focus towards providing care in community settings rather than hospital-based care can help in reducing costs associated with hospital stays and resources required for specialized care.
3. Differentiate between quality in a free market healthcare system and in a single payer government system with three (3) examples for each:
In a free market healthcare system:
a) Quality is often measured by patient satisfaction, as patients have the freedom to choose their healthcare providers based on their preferences.
b) Access to care may be influenced by an individual’s ability to pay, potentially leading to disparities in quality for those with limited financial means.
c) Healthcare providers may compete to attract more patients by offering a broader range of services, leading to a higher level of choice and flexibility for patients.
In a single payer government system:
a) Quality may be measured by outcome-based indicators, such as mortality rates and disease-specific outcomes, as the focus is on population health and overall improvement.
b) Access to care is more equitable, as healthcare services are provided based on need rather than ability to pay.
c) Healthcare providers may have less flexibility and choice in terms of service provision, as the government sets standardized guidelines and protocols for quality improvement.
4. Specify three (3) common law quality initiatives that are still found in 21st-century healthcare organizations:
a) Informed consent: Healthcare organizations must adhere to the legal requirement of obtaining informed consent from patients before any medical procedure or treatment. This ensures patient autonomy and involvement in decision-making.
b) Confidentiality and privacy: Healthcare organizations must safeguard patient information and maintain confidentiality as per legal obligations. This protects patients’ privacy rights and prevents unauthorized access or disclosure of their medical information.
c) Duty of care: Healthcare professionals have a legal duty to provide a standard of care that is reasonable, skillful, and in line with professional standards. This ensures that patients receive care that meets established quality benchmarks.
5. Defend your position on the importance of healthcare quality for your organization:
Healthcare quality is of paramount importance for our organization due to several reasons:
a) Improved patient outcomes: High-quality care leads to improved patient health outcomes, reduced morbidity, and mortality rates. By providing quality care, we can positively impact the overall well-being of our patients.
b) Patient satisfaction: Ensuring high-quality care enhances patient satisfaction, which is essential for maintaining and building a strong reputation for our organization. Satisfied patients are more likely to recommend our services and return for future healthcare needs.
c) Financial sustainability: Delivering high-quality care supports financial sustainability by reducing healthcare-associated costs such as readmissions, complications, and medical errors. It also attracts more patients, enhancing revenue generation for the organization.